Friday, February 12, 2016

Ultimate top 25 best anime

Anime

Enough with the procrastination ! It’s time for me to publish my ultimate top 25 favourite anime. I consider that you should watch every single anime on this list… meaning that I won’t be rating them from good to very good. I strongly believe that there is no such thing as the best anime ever, so here’s a list of those I very much enjoyed in anonspecific order.
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 12.03.11 PM
The valley of the wind is my favorite Miyazaki film. It’s a masterpiece about the atrocity of wars and the destruction of the environment. A touching story as relevant today as it always was… and always will be.
Chihayafuru
Screen shot 2013-03-01 at 12.55.15 PM
Chihayafuru is a very well done and moving anime. With all the loveable character you will found yourself emotionally compromise at multiple occasion. I could feel all the ups and down of every character in the show. I never would have expected to watch and love a show about a poetry card game (karuta). This show is better fucking come back soon or I’m gonna have a fit.
Space Brothers
space_brothers-01-mutta-hibito-brothers-childhood-space-light
Space Brothers relate the story of two brothers who share a common dream of becoming astronaut. But the reason I truly love this anime is because it tackle huge and relatable themes. This anime is about finding the right path in life, overcoming obstacle by learning to live with things you can’t change… it’s also about following your dream and not forgetting them.
Grave of the Fireflies
Still-Grave-of-the-Fireflies
A beautiful, yet cruelly sad movie relating the story of two young japanese children living in the horrible days of World War II. I only ever watched this movie once, as I can’t bring myself to watch it again because it made me so sad. Fuck wars, seriously.
Toradora
1524_4
In the vast array of mediocre high school anime, I find Toradora to be an exception and rather quite enjoyable. The characters are all likeble and all have their own insecurity. If you have to pick up one high school anime, Toradora is pretty much the one.
doki-ano-hi-mita-hana-no-namae-o-bokutachi-wa-mada-shiranai-11-1280x720-h264-aac-e09b4158-mkv_snapshot_16-42_2011-06-24_21-22-28
The cruelly sad story of the death of young girl and the complicated relationship of friends after her death. This anime will emotionally compromise you to the point of tears.
No.6
Sion-no6-25082915-828-466
I love stories of dystopian society when they go bad. Imagine a beautiful city with awesome infrastructure and seemingly happy looking people… but where the old people are killed when they are not longer needed, art is not allow and where you can’t say anything against your government in fear of death. I could watch it over and over again.
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 9.48.09 AM
I think Kiseijuu encompass everything I love about anime… a great story that raises questions about who we are and what we should do while being incredibly entertaining. Even though it’s an anime adaptation of a 1989 manga, the story is very current and captivating.
Barakamon
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 10.23.13 AM
After breaking down and punching a famous calligrapher, Handa Seishu is exiled to a small island. Like many anime on this list, this anime is about someone trying to figure out who he and what he stand for. It does that while being really funny and honest. I rarely laugh out loud (i’m a chuckle kind of guy), but this anime certainly made me do it multiple time. As an artist, this anime really did make me want to better myself.
Steins Gate 
Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 11.11.05 AM
For it’s incredible portrait of time travel…and for the heart wrenching moments of seeing a character being broken over and over again. For being funny and incredibly sad at the same time. You need to watch this anime. It will make you think twice about time travel.
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 8.22.26 PM
I masterful and seemingly light story about friendship, love and death. Oh this anime… was a great surprise.
Princess Mononoke
princess_mononoke_wallpaper
Princess Mononoke is yet an other movie that push the bounderies of what can be done with animation. An enviromental fairy tale about the clash between nature and the dangers of modern industrialisation. Finding the right path between co-existance and extinction.
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.10.06 PMScreen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.10.06 PM
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 6.10.06 PMThere’s no way around Attack on Titan… it’s as popular as it should be. The intense plot, crazy cliff-hanger, the gorgeous animation makes it one of the most enjoyable anime in 2013. I don’t agree with the many blogs who are calling on an issue with the pacing… I enjoy the slower part as well as the extremely tense one. People need to get over themselse. Enjoy Shingeki no Kyojin for what is it… a fucking great anime.
Jormungand
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 1.23.41 PM
This anime tackle the sad reality of gun culture. All trough out the show, I don’t believe that they ever idolize the usage of gun, in fact, they often remind themselves that they hate weapons and will work in a way to stop their propagation. The anti-hero of the show, Koko, will work on some big quest to stop wars around the world and will come up with one of those dilemma that I can’t even get my mind around. Jormungand is an awesome political anime that we just don’t get to see all the time.
Black Lagoon
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 9.21.41 AM
Though I personally prefer Jormungand, I acknowledge that Black Lagoon is a worthy predecessor. With so many strong and incredible character it’s really surprising that they manage to make the story work as it does. The only thing lacking for me here is the setting, I feel like there’s something missing. Very enjoyable nonetheless.
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 1.07.32 PM
I loved that movie, probably because I secretly wish I could move to such small house away from the city and live on my very own vegetable. The character are very likable and the simple animation gives it a unique tone.
Ghost in the shell
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 10.26.27 AM
Ghost in the shell is just one of those anime with incredible story telling and very interesting theme. I particularly enjoy the story line about robots reaching individuality.
Death Note
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 3.34.59 PM
Death Note has a very rich story telling with a lot of awesome plot twist. The interesting character and whole concept of doing thing for the greater good really makes it one in a kind. I watched this anime in two days because I never simply manage to stop myself, I always needed more, more and more ! To this day… i’m not even sure what would i do in the same situation of the main character.
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 1.07.51 PM
Still very recent, I do belive this anime deserve to be on this list. A Shakespearian tragedy of revenge, love and death. Top this anime with a solid soundtrack and beautiful animation and you will get an awesome anime who will undoubtedly find his place on most top list in the future. Oh, and it has magic and stuff.
 Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 3.51.15 PM
I believe Brotherhood to be superior to the original but it could be because I already knew the characters and knew what would happen… but anyhow. Trough seemingly light story telling, the show tackle huge subject like the atrocity of wars, the power of religion, the idiocy of fanaticism and the unlawful corruption of government. Not to mention this whole quest of identity and finding a meaning of life. This is one of those anime you need to watch…
Sword of the Stranger
Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 12.31.17 AM
Sword of the Strangers is an amazing samourai movie with perfect action scenes. Perfect to watch on a rainy day.
Bakuman
Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 8.19.12 AM
I would not suggest to start off your anime journey with Bakuman (unless you’re already into manga), but you have to eventually watch it. It’s about two elementary school kids who decide to write their own manga and the challenges that follows. Like Space Brothers, this anime is really about their quest to achieve their dreams. It’s very funny, moving and well written. #manytears
Durarara!!
187916-durarara_____08___large_20
Durarara is an anime with a headless biker, a black russian selling cheap sushi, gang wars, leader less online organisation, out of this world powerful bartender and much more. For it’s originality alone, this deserve to be on this list. It’s also very fun to watch.
Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 11.57.42 PM
I really enjoy anime with big government overreach, these dystopian society filled with inequality and injustice. A society with just enough similarity to our current situation that we can step back and really wonder what would we do in the same situation. A show with an awesome anti-villan and a lot of character who want to stand for what they think is right.
Mushishi
mushishi-1
If you have yet to watch the season one of Mushishi, I seriously don’t know what you’re waiting for. The uniqueness of every episode, the poetry, the animation, the sound design, the characters, the human stories… I don’t even know where to start in order to do it justice. So please, do yourself a favor, and go watch season one, then pick up season two, you’re definitely not gonna regret it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment